Advanced Search with Weighted Attributes, Autocomplete & Autosuggest Magento Extension
Make sure your customers see only the most relevant results when they search your Magento site with the Advanced Search with Weighted Attributes Magento Extension by Activo Extensions. This powerful Magento search extension is a must have improvement over the default Magento search. Out-of-the-box Magento search provides limited configurations and often returns inaccurate results.
Fix that problem once and for all by adding Advanced Search with Weighted Attributes to your store. It is simple to setup and provides advanced search functionality for your entire product catalog without the necessity to install additional 3rd party systems like Solr or Sphinx. Advanced Search with Weighted Attributes also includes the following useful features.
Check out the new version 3.4.1 — we improved the word similarity matching to provide better search results!
- Weighted attributes — the king of search features, this allows you to assign weighted values to searchable attributes to order their importance
- Sophisticated autocomplete and autosuggest features
- Search similarity — takes into consideration plurals and variants of the search terms, misspellings or similarly sounding words
- New Dashboard Graph — see total searches and unique searches from your site in real time right within your dashboard
- Fully optimized & very fast — better search results in the same response time as default Magento search
- Increase sales with more relevant search results
- No need to install additional 3rd party systems like Solr or Sphinx
- No monthly subscription fees — buy a license, install and you're all set!
- 100% Money Back Guarantee
Benefits of Advanced Search Over ElasticSearch, Sphinx and Solr:
- No need for an additional server or 3rd party system
- No developer resources needed to integrate with Magento
- No developer resources needed to maintain your search database
Live Stores Using Advanced Search
Here is a simple video overview of the new Advanced Search extension functionality:
Weighted attributes are the key to dialing in your search results just how you want them. Advanced Search with Weighted Attributes Magento extension puts the power in your hands and allows you to decide which attributes are more important. For example, if product name and brand are more important than text found in the description, simply assign those attributes a higher weight.
Advanced Search extension has a unique feature to include similar words in the search results. It will look for the words with the same "soundex" index (i.e. similar sounding words) and than will filter these to the words with character distance not exceeding specified level (also know as "Levenshtein distance").
This allows to account for word misspellings as well as many plurals, which drastically improves the quality of the search. For instance if user searches for the word "extension", it will also add the results for "extensions". Please note however, that this is not perfect match for plurals, some words (especially short ones) change their soundex index for plurals, so the word similarity matching will not work. We are working on the improved matching for plurals in different languages and will have it as an additional feature in the future versions.
Our totally revamped auto complete feature now includes frequently used words and phrases and is a complete overhaul of the default Magento functionality. The Advanced Search with Weighted Attributes Magento extension will build the search index (dictionary) with words and phrases from your product catalog. It uses a smart algorithm to build phrases consisting of up to 3 words by default (this is a configurable option). It then provides automatic suggestions to the user from this dictionary as the user types (starting with second character). This overrides Magento's default functionality completely as the default functionality is prone to errors and security issues.
Similar to "Did you mean... ?", our auto suggest feature automatically offers the best suggested phrase in case of a typo or a bad search term. This increases the likelihood that user will find what they are looking for and provides great product discovery opportunities.
The Advanced Search with Weighted Attributes Magento extension also has built-in search refinement similar to the functionality provided by our FREE Catalog Search Refinement extension. This additional functionality makes search results more relevant by including only the results that contain ALL search terms. By default Magento includes items that include ANY search term, which usually produces loose search results. For example, when users search for "green shoes" with default Magento search, results would show all products that are green and all products that are shoes. This feature can be enabled/disabled within the configuration settings.
A list of "stop words", which will NOT be included in the index, can be included and used with Advanced Search with Weighted Attributes. Most English language adjectives and articles are automatically included as stop words, so they do not skew your search results.
Advanced Search with Weighted Attributes uses Magento's internal indexing mechanism to build the words dictionary (index). It maintains a separate index for each feature (autocomplete and autosuggest). You can specify which particular product attributes should be included in the index separately per feature. The index is invalidated every time you edit product attributes in the catalog. You can either reindex data manually by going to System > Index Management or configure it to automatically reindex on the daily basis via cron job.
ATTENTION! If you have installed a previous version of this extension, you must remove it BEFORE installing the new version. Use Magento Connect Manager to uninstall it (System > Magento Connect > Magento Connect Manager). If you are unable to uninstall it using Magento Connect Manager, you can uninstall it manually by removing the folder within
/app/code/community/Activo/ via FTP.
Magento Connect Installation Instructions
- Once you purchase the extension, download the installation package by logging into your account and going to My Downloadable Products section.
- After you download the installation package, log into your store's admin interface and go to System > Magento Connect > Magento Connect Manager.
- At the Direct Package File Upload section click on Choose File button, select the package file you just downloaded and click Upload.
- After upload is complete, go back to the admin panel by clicking the Return to Admin link at the top right.
- Go to System > Cache Management and refresh the Configuration cache.
- IMPORTANT! After finishing the initial installation steps above, you need to log out and log in back into your store's admin interface in order to see the extension configuration.
- When you log back in to your admin panel, your installation process is complete and you can now configure the extension.
ATTENTION APPLE SAFARI USERS By default Safari tries to open the "safe" file extensions, this includes the .tgz packages. Therefore it will uncompress the package upon download and will make it unfit for Magento Connect. To prevent this behavior in the menu bar, go Safari > Preferences. In the "General" tab, uncheck "Open 'safe' files after downloading". This will stop Safari from automatically unzipping the files. Read more on Stack Exchange here.
See more detailed installation instructions and a screencast here:
Installing Magento Extensions Using Connect Manager
Want to read more reviews on this extension? Visit the Advanced Search with Weighted Attributes page on Magento Connect: https://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/advanced-search-with-weighted-attributes.html
- JohnReview by Works well with the weighted attributes
Quality Price Value
- Regarding extensions.activo.com...Review by Luke
Quality Price Value
- Fantastic extension and SupportReview by DaleZA
Quality Price Value
The support from Activo is phenomenal, they responded to queries within minutes 10 out of 10 (Posted on 2/14/2014)
Write Your Own Review
[2016-07-10] Version 3.4.1:
- Bugfix: in certain cases simple searches will omit products in the search results even if they include the keyword searched. Resolved.
[2016-07-01] Version 3.4.0:
- Fixed: admins who wish to only use our robust weighted attributes and looking to disable the indexing of auto suggest and/or disable auto correct functionality are now able to do so safely. Fixed errors and unnecessary reindexing.
[2016-06-17] Version 3.3.0:
- New: now see your total searches and unique searches over time right within your own Dashboard. Additional graph and data coming soon.
[2015-07-07] Version 3.2.1:
- Enhanced: now able to index and search with html entities. It also allows for auto suggest and auto correct based on html entities.
[2014-11-05] Version 3.2.0:
- Improved handling for word similarity—find more relevant results with similar words...
[2014-05-18] Version 3.1.1:
- Compatibility fix. Fully tested and compatible with Magento 1.9.0 CE
[2014-02-09] Version 3.1.0:
- Completely revamped search mechanism using weighted attribute search. Select searchable attributes and assign them different weights to show the most relevant results first.
- Autocomplete now fully supports multistore setup and can handle any number of languages on the site. DB structure and index reworked to support multi language websites.
[2014-02-04] Version 3.0.3:
- Extension is ready for translations.
- Added French and German translations.
[2012-02-04] Version 3.0.2:
- Fixed stop words for search results not working
- Fixed weighted search not working with multistore views
Professional Extensions License Agreement
All Professional Magento Extensions (i.e. paid) from Activo Extensions are subject to the terms and conditions of our License Agreement. You can find the latest copy of our license agreement here: https://extensions.activo.com/license_professional
In short, you are required to purchase a separate license for each of the domains (stores) you are running this software on (excluding common variations, like adding 'www.' to the domain name). However you can run this software on multiple servers, provided that you have a separate license for each of the domains (for instance in configurations with load balancers).
You can also use a copy of this software for free on one development or one staging server per license purchased in addition to your production servers, provided that this development or staging server is not used for any live sales transactions.
Free Extensions License Agreement
All Free Magento Extensions from Activo Extensions are released under the Open Software License v. 3.0 (OSL-3.0). Please read the full license agreement here: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/OSL-3.0.
All purchases are subject to the terms and conditions outlined in our Terms of Service document. Please read it carefully.